Did you know….
- In Vicars Orchard there are 700 trees and 130 different varieties of Top Fruit. Many local varieties include great names like “Reverend Wilks” and “Rivers Early.”
- Much of the grass in the orchard we leave till late July before cutting. This for birds, wildlife and less work. Please help keep dogs from scaring ground nesting birds off nests.
- “Bastard Fallow” – an old term for leaving ground and cultivating to kills weeds is being carried out in Lowany to control docks and thistles
- Hoping for bumper crop of grass from Squitmore this year.
- We finally got all potatoes and onions in on 13th May, fingers crossed.
- Pigs are moving to fresh ground in Vicarage Field. Will grow mustard as a green manure where they have been, and then potatoes next year.
- We have 2000 tons of manure to spread and plough in. Most will go onto the field vegetable ground in Great Field.
- It was 10 years in February since Walnut and Vicars Orchard were planted.
- Each year we cut 1/22 of the Squitmore Spring Wood in a coppice rotation. This has let in a lot of light and encouraged undergrowth in the past 10 years.
- 90% of sycamores now removed from the woods and ash and oak regrowth has been encouraged.
- There are bats galore!