- Medlar harvesting will be the last of the orchard fruit to pick. Always after the first good frost.
- Winter beans went in after potatoes, to hopefully give us an earlier crop than the spring grown varieties.
- New raspberry canes on order – 500 of 3 different varieties to plant over the winter.
- All the deer for miles around have found our sweetcorn – Fallow and Muntjac feeding away every night.
- Turkeys happily listening to radio 4 – tripwires and night security out to make sure we don’t get “poached”.
- Beetroot is being harvested but a lot will stay in the field. Round bales are ready to roll over them to protect from frost. Carrots / Parsnips / Swedes and Turnips are ok as long as we can still get forks in the ground.
- The last few winters have been mild, maybe this year will be different. Water bowsers and petrol pumps need preparing as pipes in the fields freezing is the only main issue.
- Cattle went into winter quarters on the 3rd of November. This has saved 13 days of straw and hay compared to last year. We are looking forward to being able to turn the cattle out earlier in the spring next year. Several fields have a good 8-10inch of grass still on them, and the “Timothy” grass in the ley’s grows first in the spring.